Preparing Your Air Conditioner For The Spring and Summer Cooling Season
With hotter weather fast approaching in Southwest Florida, now is the time to ensure your air conditioner is ready for the hottest months ahead. Proper cooling system maintenance, along with a few additional steps to keep your house cool, will ensure that your air conditioner operates at peak efficiency to keep your utility bill in check and limit the chance of an unexpected AC breakdown and expensive repairs.Here are a few home cooling tips:
- Call Southwest Plumbing and Air Conditioning to schedule an annual AC inspection and tune-up. Your technician will perform a comprehensive inspection to find any potential problems that could lead to a breakdown. A dirty, unmaintained can cost you hundreds of extra dollars in extra energy costs each season, while also shortening the lifespan of the unit, so a tune-up is cheap insurance.
- Replace your furnace filter at least once a month. Clean filters enable your HVAC system to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier.
- Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks. Sealing gaps and holes in air ducts helps your heating and cooling system operate more efficiently.
- Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
- Make sure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
- Optimize the temperature in your home with a programmable thermostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you're away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
- Block out direct sunlight with drapes or window shades.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
- Plan heat generating activities for cooler morning and evening hours. Basic household functions such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for your home's cooling system to do its job.
- Fix the little problems before they lead to a breakdown. If your air conditioner is not effectively cooling all areas of your home, or you notice unusual noises coming from your air conditioner, call ABC Southwest Plumbing and Air Conditioning, our experienced technicians can help diagnose the problem and repair your cooling system so it provides reliable cooling throughout the warm months to come.