6 Tips to Save On Your Water Heating Bill
Heating water is one of the most energy intensive tasks in most homes. Thankfully, there are many things you can do to ensure your water heater is working as efficiently as possible and to reduce your hot water usage.
- Set the water heater thermostat at 140 degrees or “normal.”
- Use a water heater blanket to insulate the tank and prevent heat from escaping.
- Install energy-saving low-flow shower heads. These will save a significant amount of hot water with little effect on water pressure.
- Wash your laundry using a cold water detergent. Many laundry detergents are available that are formulated for cold water.
- Fix defective plumbing or dripping faucets. A single dripping hot water faucet can waste 212 gallons of water a month. That not only increases water bills, but also increases the gas or electric bill for heating the water.
- Wash only full loads in a dishwasher and use the shortest cycle that will get your dishes clean. If operating instructions allow, turn off the dishwasher before the drying cycle, open the door and let the dishes dry naturally.
It’s also a good idea to flush your water heater tank at least once a year. This will remove sediment that can reduce heating efficiency and shorten the life of the water heater.
Have questions about your water heater? Call ABC Southwest Plumbing & Air Conditioning, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Great service call. Super attitude and just plain nice guy.”– Google Review
“I recently scheduled an air conditioning tune-up for a very reasonable price with ABC Southwest Plumbing & A/C. I also…”– Google Review
“ABC Plumbing were very nice and Jonathan cared about my feelings. I would recommend them to ALL my friends. I…”– Facebook Review
“ABC Plumbing & A/C is a company I would keep for all time. Had an emergency at night, and they…”– Facebook Review