Spring Plumbing Checklist
Spring is a good time to take a look around your home to find any plumbing issues that could lead to expensive damage to your home. Problems like water leaks, and inefficient plumbing fixtures can also lead wasted water and energy as well as higher utility bills.
- Check the faucet for drips and repair if needed
- Check under the sink for signs of water leaks, including water stains or mold
- Inspect the operation of the disposal, does it sound louder than it should?
- Do the kitchen drains empty quickly, or do they need cleaning?
- Look for drips and leaks around toilets
- Check for cracks in the toilet tank and bowl
- Does the toilet run for longer than it should or does the handle need to be held down to empty completely? The parts may be worn out and need replacement
- To see if the toilet is leaking, add several drops of food coloring to the tank. Check the bowl 30 minutes later. If the water has become colored, there is a leak
- Check drains by filling sinks, tubs and showers with water. Do they drain quickly? Or do they need cleaning?
- Check faucets and shower heads for mineral build-up. Soak fixtures in vinegar overnight to dissolve the deposits
- If plumbing fixtures are unused for long periods of time, exercise faucets and valves under sinks and toilets to prevent sticking
- Check the water heater thermostat. It should be set to 120 or lower to prevent scalding
- Flush the water heater tank to remove sediment at the bottom of the tank that can reduce efficiency and lead to corrosion. Check your water heater manual for the proper procedure for draining and maintaining the unit
- If the water heater is over 12 years old, consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient model
- Ensure there ere no flammable liquids store near the water heater
- Check washing machine hoses for bulges, cracks or other signs of wear. Replace with stainless steal hoses if needed
- Pour a bucket of water into floor drains to fill the trap and prevent odors
- Check for signs of water leaks in ceilings and under sinks
- Ensure that pluming vents outside the home are free of obstructions such as bird nests and debris
- Ensure the sump pump is working properly by pouring a bucket of water in the pump pit. The pump should turn on a drain the water away
If you have water leaks, slow drains or other plumbing problems, call ABC Southwest Plumbing & Air Conditioning. We can help with all your plumbing repair and installation needs.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Great service call. Super attitude and just plain nice guy.”– Google Review
“I recently scheduled an air conditioning tune-up for a very reasonable price with ABC Southwest Plumbing & A/C. I also…”– Google Review
“ABC Plumbing were very nice and Jonathan cared about my feelings. I would recommend them to ALL my friends. I…”– Facebook Review
“ABC Plumbing & A/C is a company I would keep for all time. Had an emergency at night, and they…”– Facebook Review