Accessible Shower Design Basics
For many homeowners the idea of universal design – where the environment and plumbing systems are accessible to everyone, whether young, old, big, small or physically disabled – is an important consideration when designing a bathroom. Creating an accessible shower involves more that just making entry and exit as safe and easy as possible. There are other consideration as well, including:
- Space – If the shower must be large or accommodate a wheelchair, it should be big enough to safely maneuver around with room to spare. If the bathroom is too small for a large shower, consider creating an open bathroom without walls between the shower, sink and toilet. Instead the bathroom can have a central floor drain and use waterproof materials.
- Curb-less Stalls – To allow ease of entry and prevent tripping, compressible plastic strips can be installed on the floor to contain water. The strips can be rolled over but won’t create a tripping hazard.
- 3. Non-Slip Surfaces – Tile with a matte finish and wider grout can provide a better gripping surface. Consider adding contrasting accents to tile floors and shower walls, which can help visually impaired occupants.
- 4. Lighting – Waterproof, compact LED light fixtures are perfect for providing bright light inside shower enclosures.
- 5. Seating – Consider adding built-in or a fold down seating inside the shower.
- 6. Storage – Wall niches provide a safe, convenient place to store shower accessories. Having niches at different heights will make them accessible to children and adults.
- 7. Shower Heads – When it comes to shower heads there is no one-size-fits-all installation height. For the most flexibility consider a rail mounted shower head that can be moved up and down to accommodate everyone from children to tall adults.
- 8. Grab Bars – Installing grab bars at an angle will make them easier to use at a range of heights.
Need help making your shower more accessible? Call ABC Southwest Plumbing & Air Conditioning. We can help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Great service call. Super attitude and just plain nice guy.”– Google Review
“I recently scheduled an air conditioning tune-up for a very reasonable price with ABC Southwest Plumbing & A/C. I also…”– Google Review
“ABC Plumbing were very nice and Jonathan cared about my feelings. I would recommend them to ALL my friends. I…”– Facebook Review
“ABC Plumbing & A/C is a company I would keep for all time. Had an emergency at night, and they…”– Facebook Review