Tips for Reducing Your Cooling Costs This Summer
In the typical Florida home, air conditioning uses far more electricity than any other appliance. During the summer, air conditioning can account for as much as 70-80% of your electric bill.
Of course, the most obvious way to lower your cooling bill is to run the air conditioner less often and turn the temperature up a couple of degrees. But there are several other little steps that can make a significant difference.
1. Clean your air conditioner coils. Dirty cooling coils will make your air conditioner work harder, reducing efficiency. Your air conditioning technician can perform this maintenance or you can do it yourself by removing the outer cover.
2. Use ceiling fans. A ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort. Remember to turn off ceiling fans when no one is in the room.
3. Although thermostats can be adjusted manually, programmable thermostats will avoid any discomfort by returning temperatures to normal before you wake or return home. Schedule the temperature to be higher when you will be away from home for an extended period.
4. On hot days, avoid using heat generating appliances like your oven. Use a microwave oven, or grill outside. Instead of using your clothes dryer, hang clothing outside to dry. This will reduce heat as well as humidity inside the home.
5. Make sure bathroom and kitchen fans are vented to the outside (not just to the attic).
Have air conditioning questions? Call ABC Southwest Plumbing & Air Conditioning. We’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Great service call. Super attitude and just plain nice guy.”– Google Review
“I recently scheduled an air conditioning tune-up for a very reasonable price with ABC Southwest Plumbing & A/C. I also…”– Google Review
“ABC Plumbing were very nice and Jonathan cared about my feelings. I would recommend them to ALL my friends. I…”– Facebook Review
“ABC Plumbing & A/C is a company I would keep for all time. Had an emergency at night, and they…”– Facebook Review