Here in southwest Florida a central air conditioner is not just a convenience, it's a necessity. When the AC won't turn on there can be several causes, some of which can be simple fixes that you can do yourself without calling for service. If your Air Conditioner has suddenly stopped working and won't turn on, there are several things to check.
- First, make sure that the thermostat is receiving power and is set to "COOL" and not been accidentally moved to "OFF" or "HEAT".
- Ensure the the thermostat temperature is set low enough to activate the AC unit.
- Check that the external safety switch (usually located outside the home near the condensing unit) is set to the ON position.
- Check that the circuit breaker that controls the air conditioning compressor and the circuit breaker that controls the blower or air handler, are in the “ON” position. If a circuit breaker has tripped, reset the circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker cannot be reset, do not try to reset it again. Have a qualified technician check the unit to determine the cause of the problem.
- Ensure that the air filter is not clogged. A clogged filter can obstruct airflow to the unit, causing it to shut off. A clogged filter can also cause the unit to freeze up.